As we gradually learn about healthy foods, there is one thing that’s as much important as what we put in our body: What we use for our skin, because the skin absorbs whatever we put on it.
One of the million reasons of feeding our body with nutritious healthy foods is to help it better cleans itself to minimize the effects of toxins. Nowadays in our modern society, Stress, Free Radicals, Inflammation and External Substances that we inhale, ingest or absorb all create toxins that our body, especially the hard-working liver, is constantly working on filtering, breaking down and eliminating them. However our body can only get rid of certain amount of toxins each day. Any excessive toxins that the liver cannot breakdown will be stored right underneath the skin. To make things worse, (some may not be aware of this) people put a further workload on the body’s detoxifying system by lathering the skin in foams, lotions and creams that contain unnecessary toxic chemicals.
A lot of women, including me a few years ago, “look after” our face and body by applying what we believe is beautiful, safe, and functional skin care products. Not to mention another great amount of women apply a substantial amount of make-ups to their skin. They will never go easy on skin care and cosmetics, and they wonder why they still have skin problems!
Now here is the bloody truth. Public health laws allow:
- Almost any chemical as an ingredient in personal care products
- Misleading and incomplete labeling of ingredients
- Unsubstantiated claims about product benefits
- No required safety testing of products or ingredients
It is never too late to re-evaluate the products you are using, and then make better choice for you, your family and the environment. The key is first to use products that never contain Sulfates, Parabens, Phthalates and Petrochemicals, and second is to nurture our skin with wholesome natural ingredients, even homemade if you could. Do not be fooled by the brands, advertisements, and labels. No matter how prestige that brand is, I always do my research on their ingredients and sometimes I found horrible chemicals that we really shouldn’t put on our skin. Natural cleans and care are working in harmony with our bodies, inspiring to our senses, better for the environment and eventually beneficial to our overall well-being.
Telling from my personal experience, natural personal care products, backed with a healthy diet and lifestyle, have made me feel wonderful. I don’t miss the old stuffs that I used to rely on and I cannot imagine going back to them anymore!
Below I have listed some great resources that I personally learn and use the information from. They have helped me discovered a new healthy skin I live in now. I recommend you take some time to familiarize yourself with the knowledge, research the ingredients or recipes, and eventually switch to better choices.
- Top tips for safer products by EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database (To help you start with the natural skin care products shopping)
- List of certified natural products by NPA (natural products association) (This non-profit organization set-up high Natural Standards to certify products as Natural. You may try something from the certified list. I personally have been using a few of their certified products.)
- Chemical Index by EWG (environmental working group) (I have used it a handful amount time to research the ingredients on labels)
- Personal care & beauty by Simple Organic (On this website, you can search for homemade recipes or methods of personal care stuffs, such as soap, shampoo, body cream, or just virgin coconut oil, etc.)
That’s it. Only you can really take care of yourself. Arm you with the knowledge and start discovering a new you. I wish you have a truly natural healthy skin, from now on.